DIY Faux Honed Marble top

I am excited about this post! I was not too sure how this was going to turn out but, I am beside myself and just so PROUD that this projec...

I am excited about this post! I was not too sure how this was going to turn out but, I am beside myself and just so PROUD that this project tuned out so well. I was hoping to attempt a Carrara Marble but chickened out because it was extremely detailed! so I decided to use a watered down paint method that I found on youtube.

If you watch the video you can tell that my top does not look as heavily painted as there's does. Note, I did have to repaint my top a couple of times to suite the style I was going for. Note, in order to achieve the free flowing gold marbling, I free handed it and used a dry brush stipple technique.
Above, is how the top looked prior to painting it. To achieve a honed edge, I used Durham's Rock Hard Water Putty. When mixing the putty, I followed the directions and added a little bit of vinegar so it would not harden too fast. Then I took a plastic fork and applied the putty to the edge of the top and scored it. To give it more of a raw cut look, I built up the putty on certain parts of the edge. I tried to score the piece at an angle so that it looked real.
Prior to attempting the marble technique, I DID prime the top. After my big mess up (see below) I only used white watered down latex paint and gold acrylic paint. Any other color that comes through on the top was a result from my "first" marbling venturing.
This is how my top looked after I painted over it AFTER I painted it a little to dark (above). I decided to share with you my BIG fail...well, it wasn't a total failure because I thought it looked great but was just too dark for my liking. Please follow the diy faux marble technique here to achieve this look or something similar.


With the darker marble top, I used 3 different shades of grey paint, white paint, and acrylic gold paint. When using multiple colors I found it easier to give the piece dimensions. This project was extremely easy and the results were automatic...if that makes sense. Basically, you don't have to let it cure to see where the project is going and if you make a mistake it is easy to fix.

You Might Also Like

0 comments