Deodorizing a Stinky Couch

Unfortunately, I did not take photos...but remember when I said I purchased  a new pink couch, I bought it used from craigslist. My old self...

Unfortunately, I did not take photos...but remember when I said I purchased  a new pink couch, I bought it used from craigslist. My old self pre-kids would have never purchased a used couch...the me me just did. Anyways, that couch came with an odor...a dog odor and prior owner odor. Although the smell was not heavy, It had me thinking, "what did I just do" and it had my allergies acting up. With all that in mind, the couch was very pretty, a little longer than what I wanted but fully functional and comfy. I new I had to look past the pretty and tackle the smell and this is how I did it.

-I took the seat covers off flipped them inside out and threw them in the wash on a delicate COLD cycle (I took my chances, this is something I have done numerous times on other couches...it may not work for all materials...hence, beware). DO NOT, absolutely DO NOT put the seat covers in the dryer...air dry them so they don't shrink

-I vacuumed thoroughly inside and out the whole couch

-I steamed cleaned the couch inside and out using my handy dandy Vinegar and dawn mixture

-After steaming it, I SPRITZED (not soak) my vinegar and dawn mixture all over the couch and let it sit over night or until dry

-After it dried, I sprinkled baking soda all over the couch inside and out and let it sit for 24 hours, then I vacuumed it up.

-Voila, odor be gone....

NOTE: This couch is pink but not a vibrant pink it has some brown in it.

You Might Also Like

0 comments